Welcome to Local No. 9 IBEW. Established in 1892, our membership has grown to serve 2,400 men and women throughout the greater Chicagoland area and beyond.
We have developed this website as a source of information about our union and its goals, and also as a resource for our members. We at Local No. 9 strive daily to meet these goals and to master the new challenges that face us in today's changing world.
Our goals and objectives at Local No. 9 mirror those of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers stated in the Preamble of the IBEW's first constitution:
- to organize all workers in the entire electrical industry in the United States and Canada, including all those in public utilities and electrical manufacturing, into local unions;
- to promote reasonable methods of work;
- to cultivate feelings of friendship among those of our industry;
- to settle all disputes between employers and employees;
- to assist each other in sickness or distress;
- to secure employment;
- to reduce the hours of daily labor;
- to secure adequate pay for our work;
- to seek a higher and higher standard of living;
- to seek security for the individual;
- to seek by legal and proper means to elevate the moral, intellectual and social conditions of our members, their families and dependents, in the interest of a higher standard of citizenship.